It was an easy day to make a difference yesterday. A friend needed picking up at the airport. Another needed their spirits lifted.
And in the process, I realized, one of the easiest ways to make a difference is to make someone laugh or smile. Every day.
Which got me thinking about other ‘easy’ ways to make a difference, every day.
- Tell the one’s you love, you love them, everyday — better yet, act/be loving in all ways so they feel your love everyday, in every way.
- Share your appreciation for those around you. Tell them, “What I appreciate most about you today is…” Focus always on their strengths. ie. if it’s your boss, “Boss, what I appreciate most about you today is your fairness/the way you handled that difficult customer/the fact you always smile and acknowledge me when you come into the office.” If it’s your child, “Child, what I appreciate most about you today is your… and then name one thing or aspect of them you cherish – [hugs/ willingness to clean up their room/ positive attitude when helping with chores/ laughter…] Do this everyday with those closest to you and feel/live/breathe the shift in energy.
- Smile at strangers.
- Pick up garbage on the street. Don’t litter.
- Touch people when you talk to them — a gentle touch on the arm, sleeve, hand creates a powerful connection.
- Let a driver in (even when you don’t want to or you’re late and every car length counts…!)
- Give a stranger a compliment.
- Tip the server at Tim Horton’s, Starbucks, where ever you buy coffee and give them a compliment on their service.
- Drive the speed limit.
- Take a walk in the fresh air.
Ten easy things that we can all do to make a difference everyday!
Do you have some to add to the list? I’d love to hear your ideas too.