In a meeting yesterday we were speaking about the power of the individual to create change in the world. I shared the story of Tamara Van Staden who as a grade 7 student created Heartprints — Kids for a Cause Foundation. At 12 years of age, Tamara knew not only how to make a difference, but the importance of taking action.
Seven years later, she still does. Not a huge enterprise, Heartprints has huge heart. Since her first sale of handmade jewellry in 2007, Tamara has raised almost $12,000 dollars for local charities in the homeless sector. She engages countless volunteers to join her in making jewellry, washcloths, scarves and other articles which she sells at events throughout the city. All net proceeds go to agencies in the sector.
Everyday Tamara and her volunteers do something to make the world a better place. Everytime they sit down to spend ten minutes or an hour creating crafts to sell, they are sending out ripples of better in the world.
If each of us took 10 minutes everyday to do one thing to make the world a better place, the world would be a different place.
It doesn’t have to be on a grand scale. That’s not the point. It just needs to be an act of grace that instills a sense of possibility, hope, connection… into the world.
So…. here’s an idea on one simple thing you can do today to make a difference. Visit the Heartprints — Kids for a Cause Facebook Page and like it just to let Tamara know you stand with her.
And, just in case you still feel the urge to keep creating better in the world, here are some other simple ideas to create grace in daily living…
- Hold the door open for the person behind you, even if you’re in a rush
- Let that car merge in front of you, even if you think they should have to wait
- Smile at a stranger
- Ask the cashier at the coffee shop if they’re having a good day and then… wish them one when you pay by leaving a tip
- Buy the coffee for the stranger behind you
- Put your dishes in the dishwasher in the coffee room at work
- Offer to buy a panhandler lunch, or a coffee and then sit and chat with them about their life. Listen deeply
- Write a note of gratitude to a co-worker and leave it on their desk when they’re not there
- Phone someone you haven’t spoken to in awhile and tell them how much you miss them
- Buy a box of glass writing markers and write a love note to your partner every day on the bathroom mirror for a week… or more
- Bake cookies for the neighbour you barely talk to
- Tie a scarf around a tree and let it know you’re thinking of it in cold weather
- Offer to take the neighbour’s dog for a walk
See, it’s easy to do one thing everyday that makes a difference.
What are some of the things you do every day to create grace in the world? Please do share. You will be inspiring everyone and creating better in the world because of what you share!